Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"How do you keep your beer cold!?"

"How do you keep your beer cold!?" This is a question that we get posed a lot of times when explaining to people our plan to cycle a beerbike from China back to Europe.

A logical solution would be to add a normal draft beer tap installation, including cooling set-up, to the bike. However, while surfing the web today I found a great alternative, one that seems to be ideal for our trip.

Clever Austrian engineers hooked up some copper coils to a heat pump on an exercise bike. On one side you have the coils warming things up, and on the other, it cools them down.
You can drop a can of beer into the cooling copper coil and start pedaling. If you have had enough beer, you can drop a coffee into the other coil on the hot side. Nice way to end a hard exercise session! http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/10/pedal-to-cold-beer.php

Seems like a perfect set up for our trip providing both cold beer and hot coffee. We only need someone who can build some coils big enough to hold an entire keg of beer! Anyone please?!

1 comment:

PhreedomPhan said...

Good Luck! I cycled through Europe when I was young (about a million years ago). Don't believe for a minute that you never forget how to ride. I took a couple of old bikes to my son-in-law. When I got there I tried to ride again. Almost broke my neck.

Rick
http://PhreedomPhan-lostliberty.blogspot.com
http://phreedomphan-americasenemies.blogspot.com/